Guitar - General/Chords that match leads

My name is Stu, 50 yrs. old and been playing guitar about 2 years. I have a couple of questions regarding practicing and chords. First, I would like some advice on what kind of practice methods to use when I'm trying to improve my lead, soloing ability? Secondly, If I were playing rhythm guitar, how would I know which chords to play to match the solo being played? If a lead guitarist was playing a solo in say A minor Pentatonic, what chords would go with that to make the rhythm? Or a B major pentatonic and so on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi, Stu--

Our website has free lessons to help you with both of your questions. Regarding how to improve
your leads, please visit these pages:

With regard to your question about rhythm guitar chords, you will want to visit our music theory and our chord progression pages:

Best Wishes,
May Music Studio

Guitar - General

Lynne May

Any question relating to guitar playing: scales, chords, music theory, arpeggios, soloing, chord progressions, key signatures, buying a guitar, guitar tabs, writing guitar music, musical styles including rock, blues and classical. I can no longer answer questions as to the value of a guitar. Please do not flag your question as "Private", as this prevents other readers from benefiting. I will no longer answer "private" questions.

I have played guitar for 30 years. Fifteen years of that time I spent traveling nationwide as a performer. I have owned and operated May Music Studio in Washington state for the last 20 years. I also teach piano and drums. Recently I have started a website which provides absolutely free music lessons:

Publications expert author

Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts