Guitar - General/guitar publications

Question
QUESTION: Do you know of any classical guitar publications which publish compositions in their issues?
They could be online as well as hard copy. Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi, David.  I'd like to make sure I understand your question fully.  Are you asking if there are any books available which offer entire compositions for classical pieces written for guitar, or just complete classical works?

Once I have a better understanding of exactly what you're asking, I can better assist you.

QUESTION: Sorry, I should have been clearer. When I used the word publications I meant magazines. I think I've seen them in the past but I didn't make note of the names. There would be articles, guitar ads and such, and also some short classical pieces, mostly by contemporary guitar composers. They could also be published online. Thanks again, looking forward to your reply.

Answer
Hi again, David; thanks for giving me a little more info.  As I pondered your question and tried to come up with a comprehensive list, it occurred to me how precious few really thorough studies I've seen in relation to classical guitar in periodicals.  Of course the major guitar magazines one sees flooding the bookstores will have maybe a one- or two-page classical article, or perhaps there might be an excerpt from a composition, but the rest of the magazine is typically devoted to more mainstream musicians (rock stars) who can move product.  Even though there is a wealth of information to be learned by those great musicians, one must turn every other page past advertisements that proclaim "for just $2350, you too can sound like the famous guy in the photo!"  

Let's face it:  the publishers want to advertise and care very little about your progress on guitar.  Unfortunate, but...

I thought that these might be of interest to you, as they are at very least devoted more toward that style of play:  Classical Guitar Magazine (UK), Fingerstyle Guitar, Acoustic Guitar Magazine, and perhaps even Guitarra Magazine (although this one isn't going to focus primarily on composition).  There are others whose titles suggest they may be good, but one quickly discovers that the focus of those books is aimed at celebrating the instrument itself, whether it be building, repairing, collecting, or even just admiring the guitars (which is not necessarily a bad thing).  

One final idea that may be of help to you:  you could consider joining or creating a social media group/forum devoted to classical guitar and interact with others to share scores.  Facebook is the most obvious starting point, as that's where you'll find the most options.  Creating a group is also very easy and they do tend to get large rather quickly.  You may be able to learn a lot and share experience and transcriptions with one another.  It might even be just plain fun!

I really hope this helps you.  If I learn of any other publications which haven't come to mind as of yet, I'll certainly follow up.

Guitar - General

J Ross Smith