Guitar - General/Harmony H64

Question
Guitar1
Guitar1  

Guitar1
Guitar1  
Hi JR, I purchased a Harmony H64 (6979h64) about 25 years ago from the original owner. He never got around to learning how to play it so it is virtually brand new. It has a factory installed Bigsby vibrato. It has a beautiful tone and still great response. I have been given several differing opinions on value and desirability. Could you help me understand both of those aspects of my guitar?

Thankx ...  George ...

Answer
Hi, George!  It's not unusual to find a lot of conflicting information on Harmony guitars.  They weren't priced in the top-end market, and many were considered "beginner" models and/or copies of better guitars, so they weren't considered highly desirable by most.  Many of them were quite good, however, and the brand has a cult following and collectors love them.  In fact, my first electric and first acoustic guitars were both Harmony instruments.  

Here is what the Blue Book of Electric Guitars has to say about your particular instrument:

"Dual cutaway hollow body, bound arched laminated maple top, laminated back/sides, 2 bound segmented f-holes, celluloid binding, 20-fret rosewood fingerboard with white dot inlay, 3-per-side tuners, chrome hardware, adjustable bridge/Bigsby True vibrato tailpiece, raised black pickguard, 2 DeArmond pickups, 2 volume/2 tone controls, 3-way pickup selector switch (mounted on diamond plate on treble bout), available in Shaded Sunburst finish, length 40.5 in., body width 15.75 in., body depth 2 in., mfg. 1967-1970."

The company offers a pricing option at the following link (Blue Book requires payment to the company):  

http://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/Products/Product_Detail.aspx?id=68

You might also find it interesting/fun to check out the Harmony forums here:  http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H64/185.htm

Ultimately, how great the instrument might be is not dependent upon what others have to say. The reality is that if it makes you happy, you like the sound, and it's great to play, it's a truly great guitar!

If there is anything else I might be able to help you with or any more questions you may have, please don't hesitate to let me know.  

Guitar - General

J Ross Smith