Guitar - General/archtop guitar

Question
I have the chance to get a really good deal on a ovation archtop mid bowl acoustic electric. Are these good for playing newer country and classic rock acoustically around the house and practicing? I know they are considered jazz but I've heard that they are just as good for country and rock.

Thanks

Answer
Hi, Shaun!  The Ovation guitars, particularly the mid-bowl size, are great instruments.  Although easy to play right off the shelf, with a pro setup they can be extremely easy on the fingers compared to other acoustic instruments.  While you may have heard that these are "jazz" guitars (I'd venture a guess it's due to Al DiMeola endorsing the instruments), they are equally at home in any style.  You'll see lots of rock, country, and even some classical players using these guitars as well.

I tend to steer folks away from labeling any instrument with a certain style:  "jazz" guitar, "metal" guitar, and so forth.  The reason is because any instrument can be played in any vein of music.  The style is dependent solely on the skill and efficiency of the player behind the instrument rather than the instrument itself.  Just look at the Les Paul as an example.  Originally designed as a "jazz" instrument (Les Paul was a legendary jazz guitarist), the LP has found its way into more rock and metal bands than anyone can count.  While the Telecaster is most often associated with country players, it's made metal magic in the hands of players like John 5 and Jim Root.  It's always more about what you DO with an instrument than what stage it looks good on!

I hope this helps you out.  As always, if you have any further questions or need other help, don't hesitate to ask!

Guitar - General

J Ross Smith