Guitar - General/guitar

Question
QUESTION: Hi!
Will learning about non-guitar instruments, eg piano, help a guitarist become better at playing the guitar? Is there for looking at other instruments as well? Is it a bad idea to just look at guitar playing when aspiring to become a great guitarist? What would be the most practical thing to do?

ANSWER: Hi Andrew, first great question I've seen on here in years!!!

Piano/keyboard is an EXCELLENT instrument to learn to help become a better guitarist. The keyboard lays all the sharps & facts out right in front of you in a very easy to understand way & when learning the circle of 4th & 4th, chords, chord inversions, chord extensions, scales & arpeggios, the keyboard will be an invaluable asset to you. I use it when teaching my students & myself all the time. All other instruments will help in different ways as well, so for example, if you know how to play sax or trumpet & want to solo like a horn player, understanding the phrasing rhythmic approaches will definitely be of benefit, but piano is by far the greatest aid. Hope that helps, if you need anything else, just drop me a line!
Peace - J.

PS - I give lessons online either through ichat or Skype & you can pay via PayPal. If you're interested, just let me know!

QUESTION: Well, actually the things is: I play  the piano. I recently started looking at acoustic guitar. Is the best way to approach the acoustic guitar learning strumming some chords (I had a guitarist teaching barre chords? Playing chords on a guitar seems so different from chords on a piano. What would be most practical thing to do, for a pianist, if he wants to learn the acoustic guitar? Should one stick to just acoustic guitar or look at electric guitar as well since they are very simmilar?

Answer
Hey Andrew, it really depends on how far you want to go with your guitar playing. Acoustic is a good place to start for sure, but starting just with chords & strumming is not really the best way to go. I start my students with some finger exercises to develop independence between fingers & to sync the right hand up with the left. Then I move on to some scales to help develop mobility & help them hear the differences between major / minor, pentatonic etc. Then a blues progression, then chords. You have to start developing the basic building block skills required to play before you actually start playing, so starting with the exercises & scales will get you hands used to moving around first, then dropping them into place to create chord shapes will be much easier. Hope that helps.
Peace - J.

Guitar - General

Jason Fryer