Guitar - General/Learning a Song

Question
Hello Frank,

One thing (out of many) I've been struggling with trying to pick up guitar is how I should approach learning a song.

After getting the tabs or whatever and starting off, as one might expect things are very difficult in the beginning.

As I begin to make progress however I'm always unsure how to continue with the song e.g. should I be playing at a snails pace to start and slowly get faster or try to keep up with the song so I'm used to playing it more fluidly from the beginning? Should I try and work on tiny bits of the song at a time so they are without mistakes or try to learn the whole song and improve it as I go?  
      Any insight you could provide would be much appreciated.

Answer
Hi Matt!

I apologize for the delay.  Apparently I'm not the only Expert not receiving the initial question e-mail when asked for help.  I will be e-mailing AllExperts to let them know so you guys aren't waiting forever for answers. I really appreciate your patience.

When I learn a song from scratch, I normally first just browse the chords to get an idea of what I'm dealing with.  I will probably play (or strum) the initial chords at a slow pace so that I get a fluidity of motion from one chord to the next.  Afterward, I'll take the solo part (or any part that requires individual note parts) and play them against a metronome to make sure that every note gets its due time, and move slowly faster, about 8 bpm with every couple of complete CLEAN (keyword, there!) completion of the section.

So you really nailed both parts that I do, and I feel that it helps with songs that are easier, and some that are more difficult.  Take your time, don't injure yourself, and most of all HAVE FUN!

Good Luck!

Frank

Guitar - General

Frank A Dornay Jr