Guitar - General/guitar make and model

Question
jpeg
jpeg  

jpeg
jpeg  
I have no idea what kind of guitar this is other than it's electric and it looks like a les Paul it is unmarked Iwould like to restore it but iI need to know what year and the make and model I want to restore it for personal use.

Answer
Hi, John!  I can understand your confusion; the Les Paul style has been copied countless times over the years and there are so many clones out there that just by looking at the skeleton alone it can be almost impossible to determine the actual origin of the guitar.

Only having a couple of pictures to go on, I'm virtually certain that this is one of the aforementioned clones.  The diamond logo is a basic shape, and not the ornate "split-diamond" that Gibson uses.  Also, the truss rod end does not appear to be a Gibson or Epiphone truss.  It's also possible (although this could simply be the photo I'm going off of) that the lugs where the bridge mounts are angled slighly sharper than on a Les Paul.  I'd venture that the headstock has been cracked at least once.

Having said this, none of that means that you can't take some hard work, good components, and a lot of detailed craftsmanship to turn this guitar into a really great instrument.  If you really take your time with this guitar it could be great.

As you do the restoration, if you run into any snags or need any help or advice, please don't hesitate to ask!  I'll add here that a fantastic supplier of luthier tools is Steward MacDonald at www.stewmac.com.  Their stuff is a bit more than some merchants, but it's very good quality and they have great customer service, too.

I hope this helps you out!

Guitar - General

J Ross Smith