Guitar - General/Looking for Smooth Jazz Guitar

Question
Hi Jason!

I've been playing guitar for a few years now, mostly on an acoustic since I have my own. Recently I've been looking into electric guitars and have been thinking about buying one around Christmas time this year.

I'm really into the sound of a smooth jazz guitar, hollow body preferably. It has a nice look and probably has the richest sound.

I've read into this kind of guitar a bit, but I wanted to hear your opinion on what type I should get, if you have any preference of your own. I'm looking for something reasonably priced, maybe nothing more than $300 but still has a quality sound.

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Kyla, I don't think there really are any real hollow-body Jazz guitars in the 300.00 range worth considering. In my opinion, if you're serious about playing guitar, it's well worth it to save your money & get something that you won't outgrow in a year. Cheaper quality instruments just don't respond the same way that the higher end ones do & that seriously limits your playing interns of expression. If you're having to fight an instrument to get it to sing, it's just not that fun. There are a lot of places that will offer financing, that's how I buy my instruments & it works quite well! SO now onto choices: There are a few really high quality contenders, even Gibson now has some fully hollow instruments that are affordable on financing if you save up a little for a down payment. My first choice of course is Gibson cause that's what I play, but I've played all the others that I will mention & they are all great.

I play an ES 390. It's a fully hollow-body thin line guitar with P-90's & it easily goes from Blues to Jazz to Rock without ever missing a beat. I have my friend's Super 400 here on loan of some recording & my guitar sounds just as good as that one. (Different, but still just as good) I also play an ES 339, that's a little less Jazzy sounding, but it can still get the job done.

Next on the list is the D’Angelico EXL-1. It is a beauty of a Jazz guitar. Sounds absolutely stunning & is a joy to play.

Next up is the Eastman AR605CE Again, just a beautiful sounding instrument, play like a dream.

My last choice on the list would be Godin's 5th Avenue Jazz model. Again, superb craftsmanship, sound & playability.

Any of these guitars are a dream come true & I can guarantee you that if you spend the money on one of these, it'll be a guitar that you keep for a lifetime.

It's also worth mentioning that there is one other guitar that I really like, although it's not quite in the same league as the others, it's still a kick ass instrument. It's Epiphone's Joe Pass Emperor II Pro. While it's not quite as responsive as the others from a strictly acoustic perspective, plugged into an amp, it's wicked!!!

Hope that helps, if you need anything else, just drop me a line!

Peace - J.

Guitar - General

Jason Fryer