Guitar Making and Repair/finishing SS Stewart

Question
QUESTION: In the middle of finishing top after a delay and about to clear coat it, but had a question about finishing the sides, can I just clear coat that ? Dont know about staining it first and then clear coating what do you recommend? I am leaving the back original to give it that old look.

ANSWER: I'd leave both the sides and back as-is; the combination of old back with newly-finished sides would look strange. I assume that the top is natural finish, not a burst? You don't give much information, and Stewart guitars were made and sold by a half-dozen different companies with all sorts of finished being used...

--Paul

QUESTION: I have already taken the sides down, they were like the burst on the back, the top is natural, can I just do a natural finish on sides like the top? How do you do a burst on the sides? Ithe sides looked similar to the burst but more of a zebra pattern going uup the sides, will try to send a pic.

Answer
Murray:

Natural sides and top with a burst back is not a good way to go.

The "zebra" pattern on the sides was applied with an airbrush at the factory in order to give relatively cheap straight-grained wood some visual interest, and now that the sides and top are
sanded down, I'd sand the back, too, and then either finish the whole guitar natural or stained without a burst, or bite the bullet and do a burst.

If you have never finished a guitar before, do take it to a pro unless you are planning on making this a learning process and understand that it's not easy to do. To explain how to do it would take me a thick book, and there are books, videos, and websites devoted to this.

For info and materials on finishing guitars, I'd try www.stewmac.com or www.reranch.com. Both sell spray can paints formulated for DIY guitar refinishing and can provide instructional materials, as well.

--Paul

Guitar Making and Repair

paul wilczynski