Guitar Making and Repair/Electric violin finish

I am thinking about getting a metallic blue electric violin and painting flames on it for my next music video. will I have to strip the clear coat, or can I just paint the flames and add another clear coat?

Hi, Joshua:

If it's a Chinese-made electric violin, chances are that it's finished in UV-catalyzed polyester, which is impervious to just about anything you can throw at it!

I'd say mask the flames, Scotchbrite the area that you're going to paint, and go at it.

Guitar Making and Repair

paul wilczynski

Anything concerning building, tuning, theory of construction. Specialist in finishing (40 years' experience); extensive knowledge of Rickenbacker instruments of all vintages. Rickenbacker factory connection on personal level; ONLY licensed Rickenbacker luthier in the world.

Extensive. I build and restore electric and acoustic guitars (steel string and nylon classicals). I build all of Rickenbacker's acoustic instruments in my own shops in San Francisco and Healdsburg, CA. I write two online columns with a total of over 15,000 posts since January, 2005. Google my name or my screen name, "jingle_jangle".

American Guild of Luthiers.

Mostly automotive and hobby (in the past).

Manage the University Department workshops(Industrial Design) in SF, also have taught and written design and fabrication classes for almost a decade. Have produced online classes, written curricula, syllabi, etc. Run an online forum for my students (500 in number).

Awards won for product, vehicle, and preschool toy design in the past.

Rickenbacker International Corporation, Waterstone Guitars LLC, many Fortune 500 companies before I worked in guitars (I ran a design studio for 22 years). I have hundreds of individual--private party--customers.