Guitar Making and Repair/rosewood fretboard repair

Question
fretboard fix
fretboard fix  
Hello,

I'm trying to repair a rosewood fretboard, and I've got some similar-in-color rosewood dust, that actually looks a little bit lighter than the neck. I packed the dust into the chip and then placed a drop of super-glue on top. Once the super-glue dries, the resulting repair just looks like an ugly black spot and it does not blend nicely into the wood. Even after sanding level, it still retained it's darker qualities. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks!

CJ

Answer
It's a tough one!  As you discovered, wood dust almost always becomes permanently darker when saturated.  Some options are: 1) use much lighter dust that will match the fingerboard when cured (but this is impossible to judge without doing experiments on a piece of matching scrap wood); 2) from a piece of wood with closely matching color and grain, cut a small piece and use it as a plug (it's easiest to fit a round piece into a small drilled hole); 3) instead of wood, use an epoxy resin to which has been added a blend of special resin dyes to match the wood -- if the rosewood is varicolored, fill the little hole with 2 or 3 tiny blobs of similarly dyed epoxy which will break up the patch into several colors and make its outline harder to see; at a place which sells furniture repair/refinishing supplies, find some shellac stick repair material which matches the rosewood, melt it into the cavity, and sand flush.

Best of luck!

Guitar Making and Repair

Duke of Pearl