Guitar Making and Repair/Tru-Oil over mother of pearl?

Question
Sir, I intend to re-finish my grips on a pistol that I shoot as a member of the US Army Reserve national shooting team. The grips are made out of fancy walnut; they have mother of pearl inlays. I refinished them a year ago with polyurethane, and they were perfect, but it appears the mother of pearl has yellowed a bit. I intend to strip the polyurethane back down to bare wood. Can I apply Tru-Oil over the mother of pearl? If not, what should I use to seal the mother of pearl so I can finish the rest of the grips with Tru-Oil? Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

-JSW

Answer
Hi, Jeff:

The chance is that it was the polyurethane, not the mother of pearl, that has yellowed. This will be borne out when you strip the polyurethane from the grip down to bare wood/MOP. If after stripping the MOP looks white again, it was the urethane.

I suspect that, due to the reaction of the finish with skin oils and sweat of your hand, neither polyurethane nor tru-oil will retain its whiteness over time.

Although it's pricey, spraying the grips with PPG EC-700 (automotive) clear will keep the MOP from turning yellow. It's highly resistant to all sorts of solvents and weak acids and alkalines. It's a catalyzing, not air-dry finish, and is quite "bulletproof", so to speak!

--Paul

Guitar Making and Repair

paul wilczynski