Guitar Making and Repair/Rickenbacker 4005 L/H

QUESTION: Hi, I understand that you have made a number of 4005 basses and I wondered if you would be interested in a L/H 4005 commission?
Perhaps you can contact me via my email if you can help on this.

ANSWER: The 4005s that I built were with the approval of Rickenbacker; all were based upon original 4005 basket cases, so after building the new bodies, the old bodies were destroyed.

If you have a 4005 in bad condition or can lay hands on one (including jackplate), I can help you out. I can start with a RH and build a LH body.

QUESTION: Thanks Paul, I understand. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a basket case that you could use. Would this be okay;

This is on ebay currently, not sure if this is original or a copy??

ANSWER: Kevin-- that one is a bad counterfeit...

QUESTION: Hi Paul, Further to our previous mail correspondence, please see 4005 on ebay. Do you think this is an original having undergone some interesting alternations?

Thanks Kevin

Kevin, if you are still interested, I have a line on 2 Rickenbackers of the correct vintage.

Price of the instruments in the $2500.00-3000.00 range. They are basket cases, not restorable.

I would use them for hardware and serial number jackplate.

Then there would be my charge for building the bass body and neck and painting and assembling on top of this. The price would vary depending upon what of the donors would still be usable.

Guitar Making and Repair

paul wilczynski

Anything concerning building, tuning, theory of construction. Specialist in finishing (40 years' experience); extensive knowledge of Rickenbacker instruments of all vintages. Rickenbacker factory connection on personal level; ONLY licensed Rickenbacker luthier in the world.

Extensive. I build and restore electric and acoustic guitars (steel string and nylon classicals). I build all of Rickenbacker's acoustic instruments in my own shops in San Francisco and Healdsburg, CA. I write two online columns with a total of over 15,000 posts since January, 2005. Google my name or my screen name, "jingle_jangle".

American Guild of Luthiers.

Mostly automotive and hobby (in the past).

Manage the University Department workshops(Industrial Design) in SF, also have taught and written design and fabrication classes for almost a decade. Have produced online classes, written curricula, syllabi, etc. Run an online forum for my students (500 in number).

Awards won for product, vehicle, and preschool toy design in the past.

Rickenbacker International Corporation, Waterstone Guitars LLC, many Fortune 500 companies before I worked in guitars (I ran a design studio for 22 years). I have hundreds of individual--private party--customers.