Guitar Making and Repair/Johnson JM 991 Neck Repair

Question
Hi Paul,
I have a Johnson JM 991 tri cone that i just acquired through a trade. The neck is very warped at the 12 fret. Upon inspection  I noticed that the interior support (maple 1" x1") that is attached to the neck at the heel and runs from the front of the body to the rear approx 18", and is support by 3 mushrooms - is broken where the  heel of the neck join this interior support. The neck is mahogany and this support is maple, so I assume that this maple support was some how attached to the neck by some type of adhesive during manufacturing.

My question is: If this main support is broken, is this a problem that can be fixed or do I have a worthless guitar.  Thanks in advance for your help!   Kerry

Answer
Hi, Kerry!

Yes, this is a repair that can be accomplished by a patient pro with the proper equipment and materials.

Yes, I do this sort of repair. If you'd like to contact me off-list, send some photos to rickacoustics@me.com . I'll respond in short order.

--Paul Wilczynski

Guitar Making and Repair

paul wilczynski