Guitar Making and Repair/Rickenbacker 381v69 mapleglo tiny hole repair

Question
Hello Paul, I have a very small ding/hole on my guitar and would like to know the best way of having it repaired. My guitar is a Rickenbacker 381v69 mapleglo, built in 1997. I had it shipped from America to the Uk, it was brought as used.  Straight away I noticed the ding/hole, it has not got any worse, however I see it all the time and would love to get rid of it. If you imagine the head of a small nail head, the small nail has punctured through the lacquer and exposed the wood. The hole is about 2mm wide and roughly 1mm in depth. It is on the back of the guitar. I am worried about just handing it to anyone, please could you tell me how I can get it fixed. I am in south England.   Thank you.

Answer
Aaron, the Sussex Downs and South Coast (Brighton and Hove, west to the New Forest) is my favorite part of the UK.

Here's how to effect a repair:

Make sure there isn't any dirt in the hole in the varnish.

Dab clear nail varnish into the hole, carefully, and allow to dry (overnight or a couple of days).

If it has shrunk to below the guitar's surface, add another dab. Be as neat as possible. Allow to dry and repeat if necessary until you have a hardened tiny drop of nail varnish filling the hole and standing proud of the surrounding guitar surface.

Carefully wet-sand the drop flat with the surrounding finish, using #1000 wet or dry paper and a bit of soapy water.

Polish with T-cut and wax once glossy.

--Paul

Guitar Making and Repair

paul wilczynski