Guitar Making and Repair/cracked SG guitar body.

neck heel crack
neck heel crack  
QUESTION: Hello Paul, I am about to buy this guitar. Its a 2008 Korean made epiphone SG which as I understand were way better made than the newer Chinese made epiphones. But it has a few issues that I am concerned about, she has cracks in her body. And the neck heel is cracked. I am attaching pictures for you to take a look at and in your expert opinion let me know if the cracks/damage is repairable. The crack in the first image goes around the body to the back control cavity. there is also a crack going from the input jack down to the bottom of the guitar. the second image is preyyt self explanatory. But let me know what you think, can it be repaired?

Thank you,

ANSWER: Philip, do you want to play this guitar or spend far beyond its value and the value of your time repairing it?

If your plan is to learn a bit of guitar repair, and it's dirt cheap, go for it.

Otherwise, run away--fast--and wait until your money and desires coincide in a quality instrument.

Good luck!

QUESTION: Well actually yes I do plan on playing it. And I did get it pretty cheap. And yes I do plan on learning a bit of guitar repairing along the way. I would like to restore it back to like new condition,  and I am a very determined person. I've already written to the Luther at stuff mac and they advised me that it is possible to repair it. But thanks anyway.

Great! Now you have two professional opinions!

I tend to think of things in an adult way; it's obvious from your answer that you're younger than I thought (early teens?) as you do have more time on your hands than many adults.

I suspect that you meant "Stew Mac" when you typed "stuff Mac", and if that's true, you wrote to Dan Erlewine or one of his staff. You bet they're going to encourage you--their business is selling repair parts, tools, and materials to amateur and pro luthiers (note spelling--it's a French word), so they will make a profit whether you succeed or fail.

Sorry I couldn't tell you what you seem to want to have heard, in the words you wanted to hear, but I do tend to be practical when it comes to guitar repair and restoration.

Once again, good luck!

--Paul Wilczynski

Guitar Making and Repair

paul wilczynski

Anything concerning building, tuning, theory of construction. Specialist in finishing (40 years' experience); extensive knowledge of Rickenbacker instruments of all vintages. Rickenbacker factory connection on personal level; ONLY licensed Rickenbacker luthier in the world.

Extensive. I build and restore electric and acoustic guitars (steel string and nylon classicals). I build all of Rickenbacker's acoustic instruments in my own shops in San Francisco and Healdsburg, CA. I write two online columns with a total of over 15,000 posts since January, 2005. Google my name or my screen name, "jingle_jangle".

American Guild of Luthiers.

Mostly automotive and hobby (in the past).

Manage the University Department workshops(Industrial Design) in SF, also have taught and written design and fabrication classes for almost a decade. Have produced online classes, written curricula, syllabi, etc. Run an online forum for my students (500 in number).

Awards won for product, vehicle, and preschool toy design in the past.

Rickenbacker International Corporation, Waterstone Guitars LLC, many Fortune 500 companies before I worked in guitars (I ran a design studio for 22 years). I have hundreds of individual--private party--customers.