Guitar Making and Repair/4001 ric truss rod repair

Question
I read your article on truss rod repair for the 4001 bass. This procedure of cutting off the end of the truss rods when they are bent seems fairly simple. There is no one around where I live that can fix a ric so I'm gonna try it. Is that all there is to it?

Answer
Hi, Mike:

1. Using a hack saw with a metal blade (24-32 TPI), cut off the threaded portion of the rod. You must also shorten the unthreaded portion by cutting off the same length. Grind the shorter of the two legs to a 90 degree angle. Then grind the longer leg to a slight bevel all around the edge. This is the end that you will tap. Earlier 4001s have a 10-32 thread. Use a thin oil like 3-in-1 as a lubricant while tapping, and tap the longer end for about 1". You will need to back the tap off 1/2 turn every two or three turns.

When done, wipe off any shavings and check the nut for free-running.

--Paul

Guitar Making and Repair

paul wilczynski