Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/12 gauge Essex single barrel

Mr Lark my mother inherited this gun from her grandfather. It is a 12 gauge single barrel with essex and gun works on the side with a bigger SX over the essex. It says more on the side but I am unable to make it out clearly. I think it says pat 1900 and 1901. The serial number on the barrel and under the trigger guard is 22718. It will be greatly appreciated if you could give us any information you can find on this gun(year produced, value,how rare,why the sight on end of barrel is so much smaller than our other guns)

The Essex Gun Works Co. was a trade name used by the Crescent Davis Arms Co. on shotguns made for Belknap Hardware Co. of Louisville, Kentucky. The Crescent Co. produced large quanities of these "Hardware Guns" under many different names. Crescent was eventually purchased by J. Stevens Arms - Division of Savage which was merged with Davis Warner Arms Corp. In early 1930's the company was moved to the Stevens plant at Springfield, Mass.and were in the Stevens catalog until 1941.

I am not able to determine the exact year of manufacture due to the wide distribution over as many years. If the firearm is in "fair" condition it may have a value of approximately $200.

I would suggest that if you would like additional information that you deliver said firearm to a qualified gunsmith for personal inspection and appraisial.

Thank you for your question,
Sid Lark

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Sid Lark

I can answer questions concerning hand guns, rifles, shotguns and related ammo and ballistics questions. I cannot answer questions concerning paint-ball, airguns, etc. Also any questions related to hunting and/or related firearm useage can be answered. If asking about gun history and/or values please limit your question about one gun at a time. I limit the number of questions to five a day (so I have time to respond to all) and it defeats that purpose if I'm being ask about a half dozen guns or more in just "one" question.

I have over 35 years experience in hunting, shooting sports, and firearm collecting. I am a outdoor skills/hunter education instructor. I am a firearms instructor and have participated in PPC competition for many years in the midwest. I have received training in counter sniper tactics and held a position in said capacity on a police emergency response team. Retired law enforcement professional. I have held a F.F.L. and owned a firearms store for over 10 years. I also am currently the president of a 1400 member conservation organization which oversees shotgun, handgun, and rifle shooting sports.

Life Member of the North American Hunting Club and the N.R.A. Adam's Conservation Club President. Hunter Ed. Instructor for Ohio Division of Wildlife. State Chairman of Ohio Ducks Unlimited. Past member of the Ohio Gun Collectors and Ohio Police Chief's Associations. Past member of the International Assoc. of Chief's of Police. Past member of the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council and Criminal Justice Training Center.