Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/HG recommendation

Dear Sir,

A simple question, I hope...
Your opinion on the best or effective handgun with regard to self-defense. The scenario is protecting oneself in the home and having a gun with maximum stopping power at fairly short range. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

For ease of use, ruggedness and adequate accuracy, you couldn't do better than a Glock. which caliber is a matter of personal preference.

In this day of premium engineered handgun ammunition (Speer Gold Dot, Federal Hydrashock, etc.) the caliber hardly matters. The .40 S&W seems to have the highest rate of one-shot stops, although this could be skewed by the fact that it is THE caliber of American law enforcement. If one were limited only to full metal jacket (non-expanding) projectiles, the .45 ACP was king in the days before modern technology for a reason. The 9mm has the utility of being the NATO round, and as such supplies will be slower to dry up than will supplies of either .40 or .45. I would stay away from .357 SIG as the possibility of over-penetration is too great.

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

I CAN answer questions related to defensive use of firearms, tactics, prudent modifications of firearms, utility of certain types of firearms. My greatest knowledge is in the area of handguns. PLEASE READ BEFORE SENDING QUESTIONS: I CAN NOT identify antique guns or those that are old and out-of-production. I CAN NOT tell you the value of your firearms. I CAN NOT tell you the history of your guns. I CAN NOT supply information about cheap, inherently unsafe firearms (e.g. Jimenez, Jennings, Lorcin).

Primary Instructor, F2v (armed and unarmed self-defense); NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Distinguished Expert, Handgun; International Defensive Pistol Association certified Safety Officer; IDPA classified Expert, Stock Service Pistol Division; Multiple graduate, Practical Firearms Training, Tactical Carbine and Advanced Defensive Handgun; Blackwater Training Center, Advanced Skills Handgun; Insights Training Center, Defensive Folding Knife; Integrated Defensive Fighting Systems, Unarmed Defense and Fixed Blade Knife; Range qualified with local police department, handgun and shotgun; Kukkiwon Ildan Black Belt, ETS certified Self-Defense Instructor

National Rifle Association, International Defensive Pistol Association, Virginia Citizens' Defense League; Integrated Defensive Fighting Systems; Personal Defense Group

Tactical Journal

Bachelor's and Master's degrees; Graduate Practical Firearms Training, Handgun levels 1, 2, and 3, and Tactical Carbine; Kukiwan certified Ildan black belt.

Multiple trophies from various tactical pistol competitions.