Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/old gun.

My mom recently showed me a gun that her father had(it says"american" and "double action" on it,it's old-see pic). How do I get rid of it? I checked for bullets and even fired it into a stack of newspapers-thankfully nothing came out.

Can I throw it away in the dumpster(wrapped up in bags/boxes)? No one had a license for it(grandpa was from Chicago) and we're concerned about it's history. Could I sell it(not asking about its value) w/o a permit? pawnshop or gun seller?

or should I bury it out in the desert?

You should NOT throw it away in a dumpster.  You do not need to worry about licensing or registration here in Arizona.  From the looks of the gun, it was most likely an inexpensive handgun that was pretty typical of your grandfather's era.  The best way to dispose of it if you don't want it would be to take it to a police department and ask them to dispose of it for you.  You might give them a call understand the process they want you to follow.

You can also sell it to a gun dealer or pawn broker, but they would likely give you very little for it because of its condition.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...

Best regards,

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Doug Little

I can answer questions relating to Legal Concealed Carry in most of the Western US, with detailed knowledge of Concealed Carry laws in Arizona. I have an in-depth understanding of tactical and defensive handgun skills including Close Range Gunfighting, Armed Vehicle Operations, Low Light Gunfighting and Advanced Concealed Carry techniques. I can answer detailed questions regarding Firearms Safety, Gun Handling and Marksmanship techniques. I can also answer detailed questions in the area of Crime Prevention and Victim Avoidance. ***PLEASE NOTE: Despite having done so in the past, I cannot continue to answer questions about valuation of firearms of any kind or questions regarding when a gun was made or what the impact of age or condition might be on the value of any firearm, either contemporary or antique.***

NRA Training Counselor, NRA instructor for Personal Protection in the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Basic Pistol and Refuse to be a Victim disciplines. Certified by the AZ Dept. of Public Safety as a Firearms Safety Instructor for AZ Concealed Weapons Permit Classes and AZ Unarmed and Armed Security Guard Training. Instructor in both Low Light Gunfighting and Close Range Gunfighting. As a Staff instructor for Suarez International, I teach intermediate and advanced level tactical handgun courses. I am also teach intermediate and advanced level courses in the AR15/M4 and Kalashnikov Rifle platforms. I am a multiple graduate of Gunsite Academy and hold a certificate of Armed Vehicle Operations from them. I have been instructing in Arizona professionally for the past 9 years and have over 20 years shooting experience. Certified by the International Society of Crime Prevention Practitioners as a Crime Prevention Specialist.

National Rifle Association, Life Member; International Society of Crime Prevention Practioners; International Defensive Pistol Association; Arizona State Rifle and Pistol Association; Association of Police Marksman; President, US Marshals Posse - District of Arizona

BS, Political Science, Appalachian State University; Suarez International - Low Light Instructor, Suarez International - Close Range Gunfighting Instructor, Gunsite Academy - Armed Vehicle Operations, Arizona Department of Public Safety - Firearms Safety Instructor, NRA Instructor Ratings in Personal Protection in Home, Home Firearms Safety and Basic Pistol, ASP Tactical Baton Instructor, ASP Tactical Handcuff Instructor.

Please visit my website for testimonials at