Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/38 special

Mark, I have come across a Ruger 38 special with a pull pin cylinder and a 4 inch octagon barrel in fair condition. I am yet to own it but will soon, and I am wondering if it will have any accuracy whatsoever. What year could this gun be, how accurate will it be, and if you would, what is your opinion of its value?

I don't know of ANY Ruger revolver that came with an octagon barrel from the factory, and none with a pull pin cylinder. If that revolver is a single action, there is a loading gate on the right side at the back of the cylinder - you DO pull the pin to remove the cylinder for cleaning. You either have a Ruger with a custom barrel or not a Ruger...Most Rugers in the .38/.357 caliber will be .357 magnums - I don't believe they made many in .38 Spl.

I can't even tell you what make the revolver is without pictures and a serial number, and I can not give you information about how accurate the gun might be even with that...I suggest you look at the Ruger Forum to see if you can find anything similar and get some pics and ask them there...

FWIW, I have had MANY Ruger handguns, auto pistols and rifles over the years - I have 3 Ruger revolvers right now and another on the way.

Good luck. 'mark

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Mark Schmidt

General questions relating to various handguns - shooting, recommendations and general information on older/antique Smith & Wesson, Colt and other US made and European made pistols and revolvers. I am NOT an expert collector, but I have had several hundred handguns over the last 45 years+. I have repaired and refurbished several and shot hundreds of various handguns, and I am pretty knowledgeable on them.

Started shooting in Cub Scouts at age 10. US Army veteran in the late 1960's. Owned several hundred handguns including revolvers and autoloading pistols made by Colt, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Merwin Hulbert, H&R, Iver Johnson, Hopkins and Allen, Charter Arms and European pistols made by Mauser, Beretta, Star, Llama, Tanfoglio Guseppe, Dreyse 1907 and FN. I am mostly interested in and experienced with late 19th and all 20th century pistols, not current guns using plastic.

Have a degree in Social Work, with minors in Sociology and Fine Art (Painting)