Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Smith and Wesson model 4546

Question
How do I take apart a smith and wesson model 4546

Answer
The 4546 was a 3rd Generation metal frame auto pistol, chambered for .45 ACP. I have owned another 3rd Gen Smith pistol and I found it very reliable and rugged and reasonably accurate...it was a service pistol, not a target pistol. IMO, the old 3rd Gen Smiths were excellent pistols.

I am giving you a link to Smith's downloadable manual for these pistols that will show you how to take your pistol down for cleaning. I would recommend you print this manual and keep it with your pistol and I also recommend you look for a few extra mags before they go even higher in price.

Link for the manual:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/S&W_Metal_Frame_Auto

I would NOT recommend you go any further taking this pistol apart than instructed in the manual. I have seen too many guns ruined by people trying to "improve" them after they read some article online...Do NOT change spring rates, add stronger springs or make other changes to your pistol. They are NOT necessary, and you might damage the gun. What parts are available might be found from Numrich - www.gunpartscorp.com - who might have mags, too.

I really like those big Smith pistols and I think they were among the best autos Smith made.

Take good care of it.

mark

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Mark Schmidt