Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/16ga nitro hunter shot gun

Question
Hi Paul,

I have a 16 ga Nitro Hunter shot gun that has a ram engraved between the words nitro and hunter. Serial number is 74014. Made in USA 16GA Choke engraved on top of the barrel. The only other info that is on the gun is the letter L which is engraved in the barrel below the ejector pin.
I have been searching the internet for several days with no luck. Would love to know which company produced this for Cresent , age of the gun, and what types of shells can be shot using this gun. I have purchased 16ga 2 3/4 buckshot and slugs.
Last, what is the value of this shotgun?

Glen

Answer
Nitro Hunter is Trade name of the Crescent Arms Company, Norwich, CT, they made it.  It sold by Belknap Hardware Company of Louisville, Kentucky. "Nitro" means intended for smokeless powder. It was probably manufactured  1907 - 1932. Not much collector interest in hardware store guns. $150 to $450 is typical depending on condition. I assume is side by side double. I can't tell which actual model it is, there over 2 dozen models it could be. I would not shoot the slugs as Choke means full choke most of the time in older guns. It will be painful. Standard velocity buck or bird shot should be ok. While these guns were cheap they were pretty well made. I have Crescent Empire #60 16 gauge. Nice gun.

No you can not date by serial number guns made by Crescent. All the records were destroyed in WWII paper drive. You can buy hulls and load your own shells. Lee Load All II are cheap. Hulls & Wads you can get from www.ballisticproducts.com or www.grafs.com A small local gun store can order shells for you as well.

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Paul Edward Zukowski