Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/stevens model 70 mfg date

Question
Evening sir,
 I have a model 70 stevens visual loader with serial number J866.  I would like to know the manufacturing year.

Thank you.

Mickey

Answer
Mickey,

The Stevens Visible Loader was made beginning in 1907 and was discontinued in 1934.  The serial number code were always a letter followed by a three digit number.  It is my understanding that over 100,000 of them were made.  Since there are no serial number records available, we can't really make much more than an educated guess as to its age.  If the Model 70 is actually referenced on the gun, it was made prior to 1925 or so, since Steven stopped using that reference for guns made after that year.  It is pretty widely accepted that the serial number records from Stevens were destroyed after WWI.

Sorry, but that is about the best I can do under the circumstances...

Hope this helps.

Doug Little  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Doug Little