Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Rifles with side-mounted magazines and modularity

Thank you for being willing to answer questions.

I like to imagine a modernized version of the old, abandoned "TRW Low Maintenance Rifle" idea, TRW LMR. I really think it would have been a more rugged, more sensible development branch for the M16. I think it should have been pursued and adopted by the government with great seriousness.  I want to realistically imagine my idea, so that my idea could be inserted in detail into my favorite pen-and-paper roleplaying game. My favorite game is the one called "The Morrow Project."

My questions are: In more detail, what is a feed ramp? If you built a rifle from the ground up and had your own factory with good equipment and customized parts, how easy would it be to make a rifle that could feed from either the left OR the right? The rifle needs to have a side-mounted box magazine that could be switched for left-handed or right-handed shooters. Is that impossible?

By extension, I also study the Australian Owen Gun, the German FG-42, the Robinson M96 with top-feeding modification, and various rare Nazi prototype rifles -- all with box magazines that feed from unusual directions (i.e., feeding directions other than from below.)

I wrote the Wikipedia article on the TRW LMR. I even used the Freedom of Information Act to get the Army to show me a document about the TRW LMR that had not been available to the public before.

Thank you.

When a cartridge is stripped from the magazine by the forward action of the bolt, the bullet is guided into the chamber by its sliding along a sloped metal area called the feed ramp. In some actions, once the cartridge is stripped from the magazine, it is not firmly held until the bullet is positioned within the chamber.  That type of feeding would not work for any magazine placement other than beneath the action.

In order to feed from left or right or above, the cartridge must be positively held throughout its traverse from the magazine until the bullet is within the chamber.  That is possible and is done in some actions.

Hope this helps!

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Dave Nyce

Please, no questions about gun value or age. I have been an NRA certified pistol instructor for over 15 years. Was a pistol team captain in Pennsylvania for 5 years. Had a carry permit in PA, now have one in NC. I am a NC certified CCW (concealed carry of weapons) instructor. Also hunt using handgun, rifle, shotgun, bow and arrow, muzzleloader. I can answer questions on safety and shooting skills, recommend types of equipment (but not specific model numbers or prices), and answer questions on shooting competitions and hunting. Sorry, please don't ask me about the price or value of guns or other equipment, manufacture date, how to repair, how to get parts, or to provide any info on antiques.

NRA certified pistol, rifle, and shotgun instructor. North Carolina certified instructor for concealed carry permit. Boy Scout shotgun merit badge counselor. Have Federal firearms license (FFL) and class 3 SOT. Member of 3 gun clubs. Licensed Radio Amateur (Technician), Licensed airplane and helicopter pilot.

Life member of: NRA (benefactor), NC rifle & pistol assoc., Grass Roots NC, US Parachute Assoc., Experimental Aircraft Association, and National Trapping Assoc. Member of: Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc., San Lee Gun Club, Sir Walter Gun Club, Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club, Tripoli Rocketry Assoc., National Association of Rocketry, US Hang Gliding Assoc., A.F.& A.M., Shriners, York Rite, Scottish Rite, B.P.O.E., The Planetary Society, Apex Historical Society (board of dir.), The American Association for the Advancement of Science, and Acadamy of Model Aeronautics.

Authored numerous technical articles on sensors, wrote chapters in four engineering reference books, authored the book Linear Position Sensors, Theory & Application

BSEE, MBA, NRA certified instructor

Boy Scouts Order of the Arrow, Vaaler award, EDN magazine, "Inerting for Safety", 1987, Listed in Who's Who in Engineering, in the South, in the World, "Total Quality Management" medal awarded by MTS Systems Corporation 1991, "Best Sequel" award for the video production: "For Engineers Only" at the MTS national sales meeting, Las Vegas, 1998 (written and directed by David S. Nyce), Voted "Most Effective Leader" at Center for Creative Leadership: Looking Glass, Greensboro, NC 1995, Silver Award for New Technology at SENSORS EXPO, in Chicago, 2001 for SEF Liquid Level sensor,MTS Circle of Innovators award, 2003, Elected Master of Masonic Lodge #584 , Apex, NC, 2005, "Gold Honour Award" for outstanding service in York Rite Masonry, by the York Rite Sovereign College of North America, August 22. 2007, Board of Directors: Everight Sensors, and Apex Historical Society Maynard Pearson House