Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/riverside arms

Question
DOUG, I HAVE A 12 GAUGE SINGLE BARREL SHOTGUN MY FATHER LEFT ME WHEN HE PASSED AWAY.IT SAYS ON SIDE RIVERSIDE ARMS COMPANY CHICOPEE FALLS MASS.USA. THE SERIAL I FOUND UNDER FORE END STOCK WAS 0S357 IT WAS PRINTED NOT ON BARREL BUT RATHER ON WOOD STOCK. WHAT COULD BE PRODUCTION DATE.IT'S IN FAIR CONDITION NOT REALLY CONCERNED  WITH VALUE AS I WOULD NEVER SELL IT.LUST WANTED TO KNOW YEAR IT WAS POSSIBLY MADE. THANKS OLIVER MCLEOD...

Answer
Hi Oliver,

Riverside Arms was a trade name used by J. Stevens for their less expensive line of shotguns.  Overall, the Riverside Arms brand was used from around 1912 until around 1930.  After that, the use of the Riverside name was discontinued as Stevens was owned by Savage Arms.  I can't tell from the limited description you gave me, but I suspect that what you have is the Riverside version of the Stevens model 520.  If it is pump action shotgun, that is most likely what you have.  Also, check to see if your gun's receiver has a slight 'humpback'.  If it does, then you have a 520.
If your shotgun is not a pump, but a single shot break open, then it would be a version of the model 94 that Stevens made.  

The serial number should be somewhere on the barrel or underneath the gun behind the trigger.  It would not be typical for the serial number to be on the stock.

With the information provided, I really can't date it other than the production date range.  In terms of value, for a gun in fair condition, it is probably only worth $100 or so.  These were not expensive guns to begin with and haven't found any favor with collectors.

If you can locate a serial number, send me a follow up...otherwise, this is about all I can give you.

Best regards,

Doug Little  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Doug Little