Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/fabrica de armes

Question
mauser
mauser  
looking down the barrel of this rifle (which looks like a lee enfield 303 from wwii, all wood out to end of rifle) the only info on the rifle is at the end of bolt. It reads
fabrica d7 Armas (in U shape around a crest of some sort)
under that is
Oviedo
under that is
1923
Rifle is excellent shape, I think it may be a 7mm the round fits with no slop. I have read all about the spanish mousers and the different calibers. The only pic that I have seen that looks like this rifle has the sling strap about two inches behind the triger housing this one is back on the stock in the normal place. no bayonet pin open front sight, large rear sight more in the size of the springfield 03, a little wider. Looks like someone tried to reblue some of it... hence can't see the crest.

Answer
They were a major manufacturer of Mauser type rifles for the Spanish Military during the entire first half of the last century.

Judging by the receiver date you have either a Spanish Model 1916 Short Rifle, or a Model 1916 Carbine.
Manufactured by Fabrica de Armas in Oviedo from 1916 to 1951 they are a shortened version of the Spanish Model 1893 Rifle.

Originally chambered in 7mm Mauser (7x57mm) many were converted to 7.62 Nato (aka .308) in the late 1950's when Spain decided to adopt that round for the Military and the Guardia Civil.

They have a reputation for being strong, accurate and reliable shooters. The 7mm Mauser round is an excellent all-around hunting cartridge capable of taking most North American Game Animals. As a result it is fairly common to find these excellent rifles converted into hunting arms.

If you need information on cleaning, assembling/disassembling, loading, using the sights, etc. you can find it at Surplusrifle.com. I believe the Spanish 1916 is one of the rifles featured on their home page.

This looks like the stock (too good) is aftermarket it may have been modified. I would have the chamber checked before firing it.  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Paul Edward Zukowski