Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/300 blackout

Question
HI DOUG,THIS IS PROBABLY GOING TO BE A VERY DUMB QUESTION, WHAT DOES THE TERM AAC MEAN. I CAN NOT FIND THIS INFO ANYWHERE. LAST WHAT TO YOU THINK ABOUT THE 300 BLACKOUT ROUND ??? THANKS FOR YOU TIME.TOM...

Answer
Tom,

The 300 Blackout was designed in an attempt to field a 'intermediate' cartridge in a 30 caliber configuration using an AR15 platform.  While the 5.56 x 45 is an extremely versatile round, there are certain mission profiles where it is not as effective as a 30 caliber round would be.  Advanced Armament Corporation (AAC) was contracted to build out a rifle that would be compatible with an AR 15 bolt configuration and maintain the same ammo capacity as the current 5.56 variant.

As far as the terminal ballistics are concerned, they are comparable to the 7.62 x 39 cartridge used in the AK47.  It essentially gives you a projectile that has greater penetration and that has much greater mass which translates to more stopping power at longer ranges.

As far as what I think...I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one enough to have a fully formed opinion, but I like the concept.

Hope this helps...

Doug Little

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Doug Little