Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/bullet sizes

I have a 22 Long Rifle Caliber six shooter that belonged to my dad. We just moved out to the country and I want to start using it. Do I have to purchase 22 shorts or 22 longs or does it matter? My husband has a 38 which we just started using with 38 rat shots for snakes.  Is that the correct way to purchase 38 bullets as rat shot or buck shot?  We have also found some wild hog on the property. What rifle would you recommend? He goes out on the tractor and I just want him to have something because you never know what will appear.  Thanks for your help.

I am assuming the revolver you have is marked .22 Long Rifle. I would just use the regular .22 Long Rifle ammo in it, because that is generally cheaper than the smaller - shorter - .22 ammo which is not as popular, so is harder to find and costs more. Note that ANY .22 ammo is hard to find right now...but if you have a choice, I'd get solid bullets, NOT hollow points for use against animals or what ever on a farm.

Also, get enough ammo that you can practice with that handgun - it takes a bit of practice and you might just enjoy shooting it. NEVER "dry fire" a .22 - they are what is called "rim fire" cartridges and the firing pin and the gun itself will be damaged if it is used with no ammo in it. DO NOT USE .22 MAGNUM! It won't fit, and it is a waste of money. Any other .22 rimfire ammo will work fine.

The .38 Spl ammo you are looking for is generally called snake shot. I have not seen much of it for sale lately, and you might just get some standard lead round nose solid bullet .38 ammo till you can find the snake shot. Again, I don't know how much revolver shooting you have done, but get enough ammo and find a safe place with a good backstop to learn to shoot these handguns safely and accurately.

A rifle for feral hugs...If you can find a used Marlin lever action, a Model 336, I'd get one of those. If you find a .30-30, use 170 grain bullet ammo. If you can find a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington caliber, buy it for sure. That is a GREAT medium caliber rifle that is used here in Eastern PA for bears and deer and really anything else of a good size. I have 2 of them. I recommend them highly.

I hope you really enjoy your life in the country. It might take some getting used to, but it is worth it.

All the best.

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Mark Schmidt

General questions relating to various handguns - shooting, recommendations and general information on older/antique Smith & Wesson, Colt and other US made and European made pistols and revolvers. I am NOT an expert collector, but I have had several hundred handguns over the last 45 years+. I have repaired and refurbished several and shot hundreds of various handguns, and I am pretty knowledgeable on them.

Started shooting in Cub Scouts at age 10. US Army veteran in the late 1960's. Owned several hundred handguns including revolvers and autoloading pistols made by Colt, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Merwin Hulbert, H&R, Iver Johnson, Hopkins and Allen, Charter Arms and European pistols made by Mauser, Beretta, Star, Llama, Tanfoglio Guseppe, Dreyse 1907 and FN. I am mostly interested in and experienced with late 19th and all 20th century pistols, not current guns using plastic.

Have a degree in Social Work, with minors in Sociology and Fine Art (Painting)