Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/SAVAGE/FOX MODEL B

Greeting Charles,
 I was lucky enough to recently purchase a Model B.  I didn't know much about the model B until I read your message.
I have read Q/A dated 1/30/12 submitted by Robert B. I understand "A" inside Oval is 1949.
 My model B was built in Chicopee Falls, Mass. It does not have
any numbers.  It has "EX" followed by an A inside an oval, which is  followed by  a F inside an oval.
Any info will be greatly appreaciated.

Hello, Virgil.
  I have been researching pre-serial number firearms for years. The Savage, Stevens and Springfield, always give me a challenge. I have not found anything new concerning the letters. After WWII, Savage Arms Company moved from their home in Utica, New York to the old Stevens factory in Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts, and began production of their sporting firearms, including the Savage/Fox Model B. This was in 1946-47. They closed this plant in 1960 and moved to Westfield, Massachusetts. Savage started putting a black plastic grip cap on their Savage/Fox Model B circa 1954. If your gun has this, it was manufactured sometime from that year to 1960. If not, it may follow the rule of 'A' = 1949. The 'F' = 1954. I do not know what the 'EX' stands for. It could be an inspectors stamp.
  I hope this helps answer your question and thanks for asking for me. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.