Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Armi "San Marco" 1858 Remington

Hi Charles,

I don't know if this question is within your expertise or not, but I'm hoping you can help me out.  I was handed down an Armi "San Marco" 1858 Remington .44 caliber black powder pistol.  I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to firearms, so I was wondering if there is anything special about this weapon or if it is just a run of the mill gun.  I don't have much interest in keeping the gun, so how much do you believe it to be worth if I decide to sell it?  I have attached a picture for you to view to aid your opinion.

Hello Jason.
  Yes, I am familiar with this revolver. It was manufactured in Gardone, Italy in the late 1960's thru the 1970's. It was one of the first Italian companies to manufacture and import replicas of the Colt and Remington firearms. Some were, and others were not, quality revolvers, since many of the parts were not heat treated properly. They used both steel frame and brass frame for their revolvers. The brass had more eye appeal, but was not as strong as the steel frame. From experience, I suggest you use a lighter load of black powder than is recommended for this revolver. The values reach from $100 and up to around $250 today.
  I hope this answers your question and thank you for asking for me. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.