Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/western field model 19 12 gauge

hello I recently purchased a western field shotgun model 19 12 gauge break action it also has an ey19 marking on the barrel I have found no serial # but I did find the markings W TUGB on the underside by the trigger guard the marking is also on the inside of the receiver and fore end. my first question is approximate age and possible manufacturer.  I also wanted to know if this had a barrel that would not allow certain modern ammunition due to the way the barrel was made and basically any general information on the gun.  thank you very much for your time

Hello Paul.
  The information you have here, is a bit sketchy on the information side. A determining factor of the maker could hinge on the answer to this question. Does it have a raised solid rib down the barrel? If so, it was manufactured by Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works. Their version was named "The Champion Premium Grade. It would have fully checkered pistol grip and forearm. Barrel lengths were 28", 30", and 32". It was manufactured from 1912-1942. It should chamber the 2 3/4" shell, however, I strongly suggest having it checked by a competent licensed gunsmith. If your shotgun fits this description, you have a nice and usably firearm. If this does not describe yours, there were many manufactures, not only in the United States, but Germany, as well, who produced firearms for Montgomery Wards. Regardless, it is still a wonderful find. I hope this helps, and thank you for asking for me. Charles Gage  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.