Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/savage 24D

My FIL has a Savage 24D I think(maybe 240) hard to make out on the barrel Series P 20-gauge over 22 LR under Serial# B527749 chambered for 3" shells. What is the age and approx. value of this gun? It's in fair shape and has been decently well taken care of. Thank you

First, you are fortunate to have one of these great "hunters' guns" as they used to be called. These were very popular back in the days when people did not have a lot of money to spend on firearms that had no real purpose other than fantasy fulfillment as many guns are designed for these days. Hunting guns had to be reliable, accurate and affordable and this one added versatility. The 20 ga / .22 LR served as a combination gun for small game and deer hunting and many things in between. For many hunters in the 1950's and '60's these were the only hunting guns they owned and they had to serve for every purpose. The old ones are very collectable.

I own 2 Savage rifles, a 110 bolt action .30-06 and a 99 lever action in .308 and I really like and respect Savage rifles. NOW...

There are several other sources that specialize in Savage rifles and shotguns...there is one that specializes in Model 24's ONLY, that you should save and study...

You should also look over this forum, Savage Shooters. com

Finally, some answers to your questions - You have a Model 24 D Series P. As for the date, there is a date code on the firearm that will tell you the year...see this site for more information on that...

Prices on these guns are wide ranging and depend on condition - almost none are mint - almost all show hunting use and the dings and scratches that go with that...I really can't give you a dollar figure, but I suggest you look for similar Model 24's for sale online and draw your own conclusions.

Finally, you have a fine traditional US made hunter's gun, made by a great American company that still operates in the US and still makes respected hunting arms. I would take good care of it and give it the respect it deserves...and I would use it if you are so inclined.  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Mark Schmidt

General questions relating to various handguns - shooting, recommendations and general information on older/antique Smith & Wesson, Colt and other US made and European made pistols and revolvers. I am NOT an expert collector, but I have had several hundred handguns over the last 45 years+. I have repaired and refurbished several and shot hundreds of various handguns, and I am pretty knowledgeable on them.

Started shooting in Cub Scouts at age 10. US Army veteran in the late 1960's. Owned several hundred handguns including revolvers and autoloading pistols made by Colt, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Merwin Hulbert, H&R, Iver Johnson, Hopkins and Allen, Charter Arms and European pistols made by Mauser, Beretta, Star, Llama, Tanfoglio Guseppe, Dreyse 1907 and FN. I am mostly interested in and experienced with late 19th and all 20th century pistols, not current guns using plastic.

Have a degree in Social Work, with minors in Sociology and Fine Art (Painting)