Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Black powder revolver

Question
Hi, my dad has a Colt Navy f.llipietta 1951 replica black powder revolver.  He has had it for years and has recently been interested in firing it again.  He can't find any of his paperwork on it.  I was wondering if you could help figure out what I need to get for him to fire it.  I don't need you to help me find the place to buy it just what I need to buy.  I want to get it right so that it doesn't mess up and hurt him.  I have search a lot of places but nothing that specifically tells me what is needed, so I was hoping you could help.  I know nothing about these kinds of guns and I am so afraid I will mess up and by the wrong thing.

Answer
Millie, Thank You for allowing me the opportunity to attempt an answer to your question.

I am afraid that I can not give you a black and white answer as to what your Dad needs to shoot his black powder revolver. To begin with, I believe the pistol is an 1851 Navy Replica manufactured by the Pietta Company. I can find no reference to a 1951 model at all.

Basically, you will need black powder, percussion caps, lead balls, and wads or patches. I can not be more specific with only the information you have given me. You will need to determine the caliber of the gun so that you buy the right size balls as well as to what size percussion caps the revolver uses. The caliber will also determine how much black powder is used for each shot. Due to safety and liability issues I will not guess at what you need simply to be able to give you an answer.

My advice to you is to find a gun shop, shooting range, gunsmith, or black powder shooters club near where you live. Take the revolver there, explain what you are trying to do, and ask for assistance. The overwhelming majority of shooters are more than willing to share their knowledge with others.

Once again, I apologize for not having a better answer for you. I do not want you, your Dad, or anyone else injured due to incorrect information I gave you about your gun.

Thank You for using allexperts.com and if there is anything else I can do to help you, please let me know....

Don

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Don Orem