Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Inherited .32

Question
Hi, My mom recently passed away, we live in Georgia. I inherited a .32 revolver, aka "Saturday Night Special". It's old, dirty, and I guess My first order of business would be to clean it well, otherwise it could backfire. A friend said baby oil and a Q-tip would work if I was meticulous. Is this accurate?

I've been thinking of keeping the gun in My Purse/Bra for protection. What permits or registries might I need for that?

Answer
Although most anything can work in a pinch for lubricating a firearm, I would recommend that you get some lubricant made specifically for firearms to clean and lubricate it. There are many on the market today, but for a handgun, one is about as good as the next, so don't let the choices be daunting. Basic gun oil will serve you well enough, available at any gun store. Q-tip are indeed good for getting in cracks and crevices. But you'll also want a cleaning rod, some patches and a .32 caliber jag (the gun store can tell you what that is) to clean and lubricate the bore.

I would also suggest that you have a gunsmith, or a knowledge person at a gun store look the gun over and give you an opinion of whether it is safe to fire. Many cheaply made firearms through the years have been purchased "for protection" but never fired, and some of them are not safe.

I have no knowledge of GA law regarding firearms, though it's a gun friendly state, and I doubt there is any requirement for registration, though you will some sort of permit to carry the gun. Again, a gun store with a knowledgeable staff can guide you.

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

GCH