Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/newport model 12ga wn shotgun

i have a newport model wn 12ga shotgun serial number is 497278 can u tell me when it was made please.

Hello Belinda Gough.
  Your Newport Model WN 12gauge shotgun was manufactured for the Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett Hardware Company in the early 1900's. To the best of my knowledge, there were three manufacturing companies that could have made it. Crescent Arms, J. Stevens Arms, and H&B Folsum. If the serial number is on the metal behind the trigger guard, it most likely was made by Crescent Arms. Some of these early shotguns were made for 2 9/16" shells loaded with black powder, or low pressure smokeless powder, so modern shells will not fire safely in them. I strongly suggest having it checked by a competent licensed gunsmith.
  I hope this helps answer your question. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.