Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Sears Ranger .410 o/u

Question
I have the subject shotgun, SN # R3XX. Is it a Marlin Model 90, and when was it manufactured? Value?

Thanks,

Robert

Answer
Hello Robert.
  Yes, the Sears Ranger .410 O/U shotgun was manufactured by Marlin as the model 103. Sears used the name 'Ranger' on it from 1937-1941. It was not produced during the war years of 1942-1946. In 1947, Sears replaced the name 'Ranger' with 'J.C. Higgins'. It was still a Marlin Model 90. In 1947, Marlin began putting the 'Model 90' on their own shotgun. It was discontinued in 1958. To my knowledge, there are no numbers that can place it as manufactured in a certain year, but your shotgun was manufactured during the pre-war years of 1937-1941.
  You ask for a value. That is something that cannot be calculated with out close, in-hand, inspection. If you have not done anything to it besides a gentle cleaning, I suggest you stop there. The Marlin Model 90, especially in .410 caliber, is highly collectable. The Sears Ranger is collectable, too. I suggest finding a 'noted' firearms appraiser to give you a value. There are many listed on the internet, but I suggest one from an 'NRA' society program.
  I hope this helps in your research, and thank you for asking for me. Charles Gage  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage