Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/IVER JOHNSON

I have a iver Johnson hammerless safty .32 5, shot revolver. (iver Johnsons arms and cycle works, Fitchburg mass usa) on top  barrel, left pearl handle missing, showing 142 on handle no letters and the same numbers 142 under the trigger guard, any idea's, also on the butt of handle is {june1696 aug2697 pats pending} is stamped.  any help  maybe year, model.etc. thanks  don

Hello Don.
  Your Iver Johnson revolver had me running through all my research tools. I have finally found the information we need. To begin with, the Iver Johnson Safety Automatic came with hard rubber black grips. Your revolver was a "Special Order". It was ordered with "Genuine Mother of Pearl" grips. The serial number ,without a letter prefix, is also how special order revolvers were designated. Therefore, your revolver is designated an "IVER JOHNSON SAFETY HAMMERLESS AUTOMATIC SMALL FRAME SECOND MODEL .32 S&W." Wow! What a mouthful. The serial "142" places it's manufacture as "1906".
  There were three models, with many variations of each. The First and Second(which you have),
were manufactured for use with "black powder" cartridges. The Third Model was produced to use "smokeless powder".
  Incidentally, your revolver sold for $1.25, factory fresh. I hope this information helps. Charles Gage.

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.