Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Iver Johnson serial no.

Question
I have an Iver Johnson pistol (32 cal., 5 shot, hammerless).
It is s/n B52418. I am trying to identify the year it was built.

Thank You very much for your help.
         Arthur

Answer
Hello, Arthur.
  Your Iver Johnson Serial Number B52418 was manufactured between 1896-1901. To be exact, there are differences in a patent dates and serial number and their location on the revolver.  I will list them and you can compare with yours to decide which model you have.

1896 First Model Small Frame Hammerless Second Variation
( Top of barrel rib )Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Fitchburg Mass U.S.A.
         PAT'D.APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY10.87.DEC.26.93.PAT's PENDING
( Bottom of butt has serial numbers from B001 to B100000 )

1897 Second Model Small Frame Hammerless
( Serial number has been removed from bottom of butt strap and placed on left side of grip strap B000001 to B100000 )

1899 Second Model Small Frame Hammerless First Variation
( Serial number same location as 1897 Second Model B50001 to B100000 )( Top of barrel rib has three lines )
         IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE
         WORKS FITCHBURG MASS. U.S.A.
         PAT'D.APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY10.87.AUG.25.96.PAT'S PENDING

1901 Second Model Small Frame Hammerless Second Variation
( Top of barrel rib ) IVER JOHNSONS ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG MASS.U.S.A.
(Side of barrel all patent dates, with the addition date of MAR.13.88, are in two lines )
(Serial number is located on left grip strap B33001 to B66000 )
  These are the only Models and Variations that include the serial number B52418.
Other facts are; These standard revolvers came with nickel plate and a 3 inch barrel. For an extra fee, options included were; 2,3.5,4 and 5 inch barrels. They could also be ordered with wood grips and/or blued steel.
  I hope this has helped you in identifying your Iver Johnson revolver, and thank you for asking for me. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage