Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/.22 magnum and LR ammunition

Over the past month, I have visited 4 or 5 WalMarts looking for ammo.  The section labeled .22 is completely out in all of them, and the sales attendant just says the warehouse is out.  Is there some reason you are aware of why it would be out of stock in all these stores?  By coincidence, I have traveled to several states--Florida, Texas and Colorado, so these stores are spread out.

Unfortunately, it's just an issue of supply and demand. People afraid of an ammunition shortage, buy up everything that becomes available. I've seen the cycle before: the mfg companies will ramp up to meet the demand, eventually everyone will stock pile enough to satisfy them, and then there will be an abundance with coordinately falling prices.

As with all markets, this one is impossible to time. My advice, though, would be that once it becomes available again, buy a box every now that then to store, so that when it hits again (it will - this is the third time in my adult life I've seen it happen) you won't have to scramble to find ammunition.

National Shooting Sports Foundation has debunked some of the urban legends about the availability (e.g. "The Government is buying it all up"). Here's a story from the American Rifleman.

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

I CAN answer questions related to defensive use of firearms, tactics, prudent modifications of firearms, utility of certain types of firearms. My greatest knowledge is in the area of handguns. PLEASE READ BEFORE SENDING QUESTIONS: I CAN NOT identify antique guns or those that are old and out-of-production. I CAN NOT tell you the value of your firearms. I CAN NOT tell you the history of your guns. I CAN NOT supply information about cheap, inherently unsafe firearms (e.g. Jimenez, Jennings, Lorcin).

Primary Instructor, F2v (armed and unarmed self-defense); NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Distinguished Expert, Handgun; International Defensive Pistol Association certified Safety Officer; IDPA classified Expert, Stock Service Pistol Division; Multiple graduate, Practical Firearms Training, Tactical Carbine and Advanced Defensive Handgun; Blackwater Training Center, Advanced Skills Handgun; Insights Training Center, Defensive Folding Knife; Integrated Defensive Fighting Systems, Unarmed Defense and Fixed Blade Knife; Range qualified with local police department, handgun and shotgun; Kukkiwon Ildan Black Belt, ETS certified Self-Defense Instructor

National Rifle Association, International Defensive Pistol Association, Virginia Citizens' Defense League; Integrated Defensive Fighting Systems; Personal Defense Group

Tactical Journal

Bachelor's and Master's degrees; Graduate Practical Firearms Training, Handgun levels 1, 2, and 3, and Tactical Carbine; Kukiwan certified Ildan black belt.

Multiple trophies from various tactical pistol competitions.