Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/16 Gauge Shotgun

Question
Left Side Receiver
Left Side Receiver  
Left Side
Left Side  
QUESTION: Mr.Gage,
  In hopes you may assist in identifying the manufacturer of an older 16 gauge side by side shotgun. Very few markings on this piece, I am stumped. Not from what I have seen Savage, Stevens,Hunter, LC Smith or Iberia. Left side receiver RANGER is deeply engraved, bottom of receiver is 23 stamped in a circle; aprx;5/32", Under for-grip stamped on steel & wood the # 760. On barrels @ rear Selected Forged Steel & on left barrel 'Proof Tested 16 Gauge. That is all, no serial number or any other markings.
Any ideas would be appreciated as it needs a spring.
Respectfully,
Don Peebles
Arizona

ANSWER: Hello Don Peebles.
  I believe your shotgun is a Stevens 311, manufactured for Sears, Roebuck and Co. as a Ranger 400. You can find a schematic and parts list at Numrich Gun Parts www.gunpartscorp.com.. If you don't find it there, you might try Hoosier Gun Works at www.hoosiergunworks.com.
  Thank you for asking for me. Charles Gage

QUESTION: Mr. Gage,
 Thank you for taking the time to respond. At 1st glance it does appear to be a Stevens but the front of the receiver is cut differently (more like a Smith) and the internals are quite a bit different. I have gone through schematics till I'm blurry eyed. Next time I pull it apart I'll take a couple of Pic's of the internals.
Thank you again,
Don Peebles

Answer
Hello Don Peebles.
  Firearms manufactured for hardware stores will have a slight difference in appearance than the 'mother factory' firearms. It is the internal working parts that will be the same. Check Numrich's Cross Reference Chart. It may have been manufactured by another company. I am not a gunsmith, so you may need to keep digging. If either of these companies don't have it, I don't know who would. Thanks again, Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage