Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Cleaning

Hello, I have a nickel colt python that belonged to my dad, and he had it wrapped up in an old t-shirt for 15-20 years. It has some spots on it from the fiber breaking down, and I was wondering if there is a certain way to clean it? Is a damp terry cloth okay, or do I need to use another method?

Thanks, John

I would purchase a bottle of a product called "Breakfree CLP".  The CLP stands for "clean, lubricate and protect".  Using a soft cloth like an old t-shirt, take a small amount of the Breakfree and lightly dampen the cloth.  Gentle rub the metal surface with the dampened cloth until the spots lighten.  With a little elbow grease, they should come off.  I would not use anything abrasive that would scratch the finish.  If the Breakfree doesn't do it, you might want to take it to a gunsmith (assuming that it is that important to get it cleaned up, of course.)  You could also use a penetrating oil like WD-40, but the Breakfree would be much better.

After you have cleaned it, wipe everything down with a clean, dry cloth.  It is ok if there is a very light coating of the Breakfree on the surface of the metal.  That will protect it going forward.  Do not use the Breakfree on any wooden or rubber parts of the gun.

Hope this helps you out.

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Doug Little

I can answer questions relating to Legal Concealed Carry in most of the Western US, with detailed knowledge of Concealed Carry laws in Arizona. I have an in-depth understanding of tactical and defensive handgun skills including Close Range Gunfighting, Armed Vehicle Operations, Low Light Gunfighting and Advanced Concealed Carry techniques. I can answer detailed questions regarding Firearms Safety, Gun Handling and Marksmanship techniques. I can also answer detailed questions in the area of Crime Prevention and Victim Avoidance. ***PLEASE NOTE: Despite having done so in the past, I cannot continue to answer questions about valuation of firearms of any kind or questions regarding when a gun was made or what the impact of age or condition might be on the value of any firearm, either contemporary or antique.***

NRA Training Counselor, NRA instructor for Personal Protection in the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Basic Pistol and Refuse to be a Victim disciplines. Certified by the AZ Dept. of Public Safety as a Firearms Safety Instructor for AZ Concealed Weapons Permit Classes and AZ Unarmed and Armed Security Guard Training. Instructor in both Low Light Gunfighting and Close Range Gunfighting. As a Staff instructor for Suarez International, I teach intermediate and advanced level tactical handgun courses. I am also teach intermediate and advanced level courses in the AR15/M4 and Kalashnikov Rifle platforms. I am a multiple graduate of Gunsite Academy and hold a certificate of Armed Vehicle Operations from them. I have been instructing in Arizona professionally for the past 9 years and have over 20 years shooting experience. Certified by the International Society of Crime Prevention Practitioners as a Crime Prevention Specialist.

National Rifle Association, Life Member; International Society of Crime Prevention Practioners; International Defensive Pistol Association; Arizona State Rifle and Pistol Association; Association of Police Marksman; President, US Marshals Posse - District of Arizona

BS, Political Science, Appalachian State University; Suarez International - Low Light Instructor, Suarez International - Close Range Gunfighting Instructor, Gunsite Academy - Armed Vehicle Operations, Arizona Department of Public Safety - Firearms Safety Instructor, NRA Instructor Ratings in Personal Protection in Home, Home Firearms Safety and Basic Pistol, ASP Tactical Baton Instructor, ASP Tactical Handcuff Instructor.

Please visit my website for testimonials at