Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Ruger mini 14

Question
The stock I put on my mini 14 required for removal of the rear peep sight. So therefore I put aftermarket iron sights on the full rail. Will it harm the barrel or the accuracy of rifle if I take off the front sight and leave it off?

Answer
As you know, the Mini 14 is a utility, rather than a precision rifle.

Once a precision rifle is set up, people are very skitterish about touching them since once never knows what might open up groups from 1/8" to a 1/4".

But on a Mini - well, I've restocked them, removed sights (from and rear from them), added muzzle devices, and cut down barrels, and have never seen any of the adversely affect the practical accuracy of the rifle, so I don't think it will hurt the accuracy.

But take off that sight is just the matter of driving out a pin and pulling it off, wo why not try it and see?

If it does affect accuracy in a way you don't like, another option would be to remove the front sight band, grind down the front sight post, cold blue bare metal, and reinstall the sight band sans the post.

Best of luck to you.

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

GCH