Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Gr Douglas 40 cal

Question
Full gun
Full gun  

Barrel close up
Barrel close up  
Good evening.
My question pertains to what this rifle could be, and what its potential worth is. Barrel is marked GR DOUGLAS 40 cal... I did some preliminary research and that pertains to just the barrel, but how does one go about deciphering the rest of the gun. I believe it's black powder muzzleloader but I'm not sure about that, or dating it as well... Thanks so much!
- John

Answer
Hello John.
 Yes, your rifle is a muzzle loading black powder .40 cal. rifle. It looks to be a Hawken model, but your pictures are of the wrong angles. I cannot see the hammer side, but I am sure you know the difference between Flintlock and percussion cap models. G R Douglas was a master barrel builder for all types of firearms, and still is. He did, however, stop manufacturing muzzle loader barrels in the 1980's. These barrels are still highly sought after and can sell from $200 to over $300. The picture of the rifle, as I mentioned, is not of the best angle, but by the heavy brass butt plate, I would have to say it was handmade, with the barrel the main focus. Probably 1960's through 1980's. Value would be for the condition of the barrel and refinement of the finished wood and brass, and of course, the quality of the lock.

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage