Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Gun maintenance

I have a chrome .38 Special and a Bersa .380. Both have only been used a few times, but neither have ever been cleaned. I also have ammo for both that is at least 8 years old. Where can I get good instructions on cleaning and maintaining both, and is my ammo still usable or do they have a limited "shelf" life? Thanks for your time.

The ammo is no problem, and lasts more than 20 years with little effect.

There are at least three ways to find firearms instruction:

1. The NRA has firearms instructors (I am an NRA certified instructor) who offer standardized courses that include understanding the firearm, cleaning, safety and operation.  You can find an instructor near you by going to this website, and selecting either the First Steps Pistol or the Basic Pistol Shooting course (there is usually a small charge for each course):

2. Find your local gun club, and go to one of their meetings. Gun club people are eager to help you learn about firearm safety, cleaning, and operation.  You can probably find someone to help you at no charge.

3. Find a local gun shop that has a firing range. They will have someone that can teach you, and will probably charge about $20 for one hour of instruction, or they may instruct at no charge if you buy the ammunition from them and rent a shooting lane for an hour.

Hope this helps!

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Dave Nyce

Please, no questions about gun value or age. I have been an NRA certified pistol instructor for over 15 years. Was a pistol team captain in Pennsylvania for 5 years. Had a carry permit in PA, now have one in NC. I am a NC certified CCW (concealed carry of weapons) instructor. Also hunt using handgun, rifle, shotgun, bow and arrow, muzzleloader. I can answer questions on safety and shooting skills, recommend types of equipment (but not specific model numbers or prices), and answer questions on shooting competitions and hunting. Sorry, please don't ask me about the price or value of guns or other equipment, manufacture date, how to repair, how to get parts, or to provide any info on antiques.

NRA certified pistol, rifle, and shotgun instructor. North Carolina certified instructor for concealed carry permit. Boy Scout shotgun merit badge counselor. Have Federal firearms license (FFL) and class 3 SOT. Member of 3 gun clubs. Licensed Radio Amateur (Technician), Licensed airplane and helicopter pilot.

Life member of: NRA (benefactor), NC rifle & pistol assoc., Grass Roots NC, US Parachute Assoc., Experimental Aircraft Association, and National Trapping Assoc. Member of: Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc., San Lee Gun Club, Sir Walter Gun Club, Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club, Tripoli Rocketry Assoc., National Association of Rocketry, US Hang Gliding Assoc., A.F.& A.M., Shriners, York Rite, Scottish Rite, B.P.O.E., The Planetary Society, Apex Historical Society (board of dir.), The American Association for the Advancement of Science, and Acadamy of Model Aeronautics.

Authored numerous technical articles on sensors, wrote chapters in four engineering reference books, authored the book Linear Position Sensors, Theory & Application

BSEE, MBA, NRA certified instructor

Boy Scouts Order of the Arrow, Vaaler award, EDN magazine, "Inerting for Safety", 1987, Listed in Who's Who in Engineering, in the South, in the World, "Total Quality Management" medal awarded by MTS Systems Corporation 1991, "Best Sequel" award for the video production: "For Engineers Only" at the MTS national sales meeting, Las Vegas, 1998 (written and directed by David S. Nyce), Voted "Most Effective Leader" at Center for Creative Leadership: Looking Glass, Greensboro, NC 1995, Silver Award for New Technology at SENSORS EXPO, in Chicago, 2001 for SEF Liquid Level sensor,MTS Circle of Innovators award, 2003, Elected Master of Masonic Lodge #584 , Apex, NC, 2005, "Gold Honour Award" for outstanding service in York Rite Masonry, by the York Rite Sovereign College of North America, August 22. 2007, Board of Directors: Everight Sensors, and Apex Historical Society Maynard Pearson House