Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Dating of an Iver Johnson

Question
QUESTION: Mr. Gage,
I am helping an elderly lady repair and the identify her father's Iver Johnson Shotgun.

The Shotgun is labeled Champion/ Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works/ Fitchburg,Mass,USA.

The barrel is marked "12 GAUGE CHOKE BORE   BARREL & LUG N ONE

Throughout the gun and wood are the markings HUXC. There are no other serial markings. I realize that some state the letters had values equated with the name Fitchburg, but the X stumps me. Thoough abused, the barrel still has a mirror finish inside.
.

The barrel is 30 inches.

ANSWER: Hello Robert Sadler.
  There were five different models of the Champion, manufactured by IJ. I need a little more information. What is the overall length, muzzle to butt. Is the barrel lug, the piece that attaches the barrel to the receiver, one piece with the barrel, or welded to it? I have never seen any information dealing with the letters HUXC, or any other that are significant, other than perhaps used as an assembly number. Please follow up with this information and I will help you identify your shotgun. Charles Gage

QUESTION: Mg. Gage,
Unfortunately I am on the road for a week and can't measure the o/a length of the gun.
However, the barrel and lug were one piece, not welded.
I will get back to you when I return.

Thank you.

Bob Sadler

Answer
Hello, again, Bob Sadler.
  Your shotgun is an Iver Johnson Champion Model 36. It was manufactured sometime between 1909 and 1957, unless it has a heavy reinforced breech, then it is the Champion Jacketed Breech Single Gun 1912-1917. Sounds like I didn't do much research on this one, but since there were no recorded serial numbers during that period of time, it is the best I can do. There were a few other choices, such as the EXCEL 1910-1935 approx., but it had EXCEL stamped on it instead of Champion. Another was the Champion Matted Rib 1912-1941. It had, as the name suggests, a raised matted rib running the full length of the barrel, and a Champion Semi-Octagon Barrel 1912-1927, with the first 5 inches from the breech being octagon in shape. These are all the Champion models Iver Johnson manufactured. Maybe your friend can help narrow the age gap with some fond memories. Hope you the best on your restoration, and thank you for asking for me. Please take time to rate my answers. Charles Gage  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage