Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Iver Johnson pistol

My dad handed down to me a 7 shot .22 Iver Johnson with a 6 in. barrel. On the bottom of the trigger guard is 7007.On the bottom of the handle I can read Pat. Aug 25 . It has some more numbers and letters which I can't make out too well. I think it says Pat. Pending on the second line. I would love to know more about it.

Hello Joe.
  Your revolver is listed as a Third Model Safety Automatic. There were the First Model manufactured from 1896-99 and the Second Model from 1900-1909. Your Third Model was manufactured from 1910-41. Serial number 7007 was built in 1910. It was manufactured for use with modern .22 caliber low, or standard velocity ammunition. It would be best not to shoot high powder ammunition, like Yellow Jacket or Stinger type. You are correct about the markings on the grip. Pat. Aug 25,96. Pat. Pending. The reason it only uses the 96 date, is because all three models used the same frame. There were 7,300 manufactured in 1910.
  Hope this helps with your questions and thanks for asking for me. Please take time to rate my answer. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.