Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/H&R 22 special

I came across a website earlier, which I can no longer find, where you could enter the serial number of a gun to get its history. Do you know of any site like this? I have a H&R 22 SPECIAL that I dug out of my dads house after it burnt. I can see all the markings including serial number which is 536858.It is also stamped on the right side of barrel, long rifle CTG. It is a 9 shot and blue. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thank You for your question... there were many different H&R .22 revolvers manufactured by H&R. More than one model was marked .22 Special. Some of the early models had no serial numbers and records of production dates over the years are spotty. I do not know of a site that lists production dates by serial number. Another problem is that you can not go to H&R and ask your question because the original company went out of business in 1986.

H&R .22 pistols are dependable, well built guns made for the working man. They are not fancy but that is one reason why they were able to be sold for affordable cost. You can find many of the guns for sale used at gun shows, swap meets, on line auctions, pawn shops, and privately with excellent condition examples bringing prices in the $125 - $150 range.

From your description and picture I would guess you have an H&R Sportsman which is a 9 shot, .22 caliber, top break revolver with a 6" barrel that had a blue finish.

One word of caution.... as you salvaged this gun from a house fire you have no idea how hot the gun got during the fire. For your own safety I would suggest you have the gun inspected by a competent gun smith before you attempt to shoot it.

I know I did not have the exact information you wanted but I hope I was able to at least give you a little bit more history of your gun.

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Don Orem

There are always questions pertaining to any subject that even an expert can not answer. That being said, I am very well equipped to answer questions concerning rimfire firearms due to experience, research, and discussion of rimfire firearms with many people I consider experts. I collect old, different, or unique examples of Rimfire firearms. I also have an extensive collection of handguns and rifles from all over the world. I reload, shoot black powder, and have a nice collection of military firearms dating back to the 1800's.

I started shooting in 1953 when I was 5 years old. My father bought two .22 single shot rifles, mine was a Springfield Model 15 that I still own to this day. Today it would not be tolerated or politically correct, but back then he taught me gun safety and how to shoot by taking me to the town dump where we shot rats. Maybe that is to much information but those are some of my best memories of spending time with my father. I am at my gun club range at least 2 or 3 days a week. I am a certified NRA instructor and I teach both Basic Pistol as well as Home Firearms Safety. I also teach Concealed Carry Classes here in Florida. I have been a squirrel hunter all my life and for the last 4 years I have been active hunting feral hogs in the Everglades. I have been to every Shot Show for the last three years on my media credentials and I have attended the NRA National Convention for the last 2 years. I have my own on-line gun forum called Gun Tips and Talk and I have also served for a number of years as a Moderator or Administrator on the National Gun Forum and the Florida Gun Forum. I do a lot of gun and equipment reviews on-line. I also have my CCR FFL, a personal UPIN number with the Justice Department, and I enjoy shooting my suppressed .22's. As a side hobby I build competition bench rifles for others on the 10/22 platform. There are a number of reports on my "project" guns on my personal website at .

NRA, NSSF, and the Dade City Rod and Gun Club in Dade City, Florida.

I am a high school graduate with an additional 2 years of college with a major in Commercial Marketing. I am also a disabled Viet Nam Vet.