Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Iver Johnson 38

I have an Iver Johnson 38 Serial # D56754 on trigger guard and under grip. It has a one piece wood grip and is hammerless. Any information available is appreciated.

Hello, again Brian.
  Your IJ "May" be a post WWII Third Model Safety Hammerless Fourth Variation. The reason I say"May" be, is because there were less than 2,000 of the Fourth Variation manufactured. In 1942, all IJ .38S&W revolvers were sent overseas for the war effort. After WWII(1946), The factory still had 4" & 5" barrels and .38S&W cylinders left, but no frames. At the time, IJ was manufacturing .22cal. Supershot Sealed Eight Second Model. These had the oversize wood one pieces grips. The frames were compatible, so they assembled what they had on hand and came up with a "Frankenstein" revolver called the Fourth Variation. This information came from one of my research resources Iver Johnson U.S. Pat. Off. Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993 by W.E.Gorforth, published in 2006. He was one of the noted researchers of his time. His quote on this model was," As of this writing, none of the Fourth Variation (post-World War II) have been discovered - in either the large or small frame Hammerless models." My advice would be to google for something like, Revolver Collectors of Pre and Post WWII. You might get some help there. Another piece of advice, would be to clean it 'EXTERNALLY'. Do NOT take it apart. Shoot it if you want to, but only if it passes a complete physical, by a 'competent, licensed gunsmith'. Or just put it away until you can get further verification of this information. It is not going to set you up for retirement, but could be worth three figures to the right collector.
  Thanks for allowing me to research this revolver for you. Please contact me someday, if you find anything of interest on this revolver. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.