Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Iver Johnson .38 Safty Hammerless # 1146

Hello, Trying to find out when was this made and what ammo it should use. I found the SN#. under the Pistol grip.

Hello Leon.
  Your Iver Johnson is a Second Model. These were manufactured from 1895-1908. There were approximately 600,000 manufactured. Your revolver with the serial number 1146 puts it's manufacture date in 1895. There were 100,000 made that year, so yours is a very early one. Many of these were carried by turn of the century police officers, as well as, soldiers in both the Spanish-American and Russian-Japanese wars.
  These revolvers were manufactured to fire only blackpowder loaded cartridges. The caliber is .38 Smith&Wesson, not to be confused with the .38 Smith&Wesson Special(.38 Special). Cartridges for these are available on certain internet sites.
I hope this answers your questions. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.